Monday, February 15, 2010

╠ My Bank isn't a bank! ╣


One thing that has left me pondering over the last year or so is the shift in banks. Some of the advertisements are almost literally trying to say that they aren't actually a bank. Commonwealth advertising their 'unbank like conversations' or others advertising that their workers have the best work-life balance...

I'm not sure about the rest of you but when I go to a bank I go there because they have special attributes and benefits suited to a banklike profession and to have banklke conversations.

It's amusing that the bank as a type of institution is such a damaged reputation that those under it have to pretend they aren't to get ahead.

However on top of this another interesting fact is that they're all doing it together. Each bank is trying not to be a bank in its own oddly similar way.

This change is sort of evidence to one of the biggest things I've learned from my years of studying marketing. Innovation does not guarantee success...instead what you have to do is find a way to be the same different.

If you can make sense of that maybe you should be telling the banks how to be unbanklike next.

No comments: